Goldi melon f1 - a hybrid of French breeders. The rightholder of the variety is Tezier (France). After experimental cultivation on the territory of the Russian Federation, the culture is listed in the State Register with the recommendation of cultivation in the North Caucasus region.
Description of Goldie Melon f1
Goldie's melon is an annual crop of the pumpkin family; it belongs to the early varieties, it reaches biological ripeness within 2.5 months from the moment of emergence. Suitable for cultivation in open ground in the southern regions, in a protected area in temperate climates. Planted in small beds and farm areas.
External characteristics of a melon Goldie f1:
- herbaceous plant with a long, creeping, green stem, giving multiple shoots;
- leaves are large dark green, weakly dissected, surface with a small pile, clearly pronounced light streaks;
- flowers are light yellow, large, giving 100% of the ovary;
- the shape of the fetus is oval, reaching a mass of up to 3.5 kg;
- the peel is bright yellow, thin, the surface is mesh;
- the flesh is beige, juicy, dense texture;
- seeds are small, bright, in large quantities.
Fruits with excellent gastronomic rating, sweet with a pronounced aroma. Goldie melon up to 30 days after harvest retains its presentation and taste, tolerates transportation, and is suitable for commercial cultivation. Fruits are universal in use. They are consumed fresh, make melon honey, jam, candied fruits.
Pros and cons varieties
Goldi melon hybrid f1 refers to high-yielding varieties, the variety is self-pollinating, with a sufficient amount of ultraviolet all the ovaries reach biological ripeness. The advantages of melon include:
- Early ripening.
- Good gastronomic rating.
- Resistance to most fungal and bacterial infections.
- Does not require special agricultural engineering.
- Contains many active substances beneficial to the body.
- The peel is thin, well separated from the pulp.
- Seed nest small, closed.
- Long shelf life.
Goldie melon lacks: when there is a shortage of sunlight, the vegetation slows down, the taste is lost, the variety does not provide high-grade planting material.Attention! The next year’s independently collected melon seeds will sprout, but will not retain varietal characteristics.
Growing Melon Goldie
Melon variety is recommended for growing in a warm climate. In the South, cultivated melons in the open field. You can grow in greenhouse conditions in central Russia. The plant is thermophilic, can do without watering for a long time, it does not tolerate overmoistening of the soil. Melon is grown from seed seedling method.
Acquire planting material in specialized stores. Before placing on a permanent place, grow seedlings. Work carried out in late April. Time is calculated taking into account the peculiarities of the regional climate. In the ground, young growth is placed a month after the emergence of shoots. Algorithm of actions:
- Prepare a fertile mixture consisting of turf soil, river sand, peat and organic matter in equal parts.
- The soil is calcined, then placed in small planting containers (plastic or peat containers)
- A week before planting, germinate seeds. They are laid out on ½ part of a damp cloth, covered with the second half from above, make sure that the napkin remains wet.
- Seeds with sprouts are placed in containers.
- Moisturize the soil, covered with a film or glass on top.
- Cleaned in the lighted room.
After the appearance of young shoots, containers are placed in a place with a constant temperature and good UV access.
Selection and preparation of the landing area
Goldie melon gives a good harvest, provided the soil composition is suitable. The soil should be neutral. If the composition is sour, in the fall they make dolomite flour, loosen a bed. In the spring, the place reserved for the melon, loosened again, removed the roots of weeds, contribute organic matter. Optimal soil for the culture of black soil, sandy, sandy.
Plot for planting choose flat, on the south side, well lit, sunny. You can not plant a melon in the shade of trees or the walls of the building, in the lowlands, on wetlands. On wet soils, the culture is at risk of rotting of the root system.
Planted seedlings at approximately the end of May, when the soil warmed up to +180 C. Goldie melon variety early maturing, provided that daytime air temperature is within +230 C, in mid-July, gives the harvest. Planting material is placed according to the following scheme:
- On the garden, they make indentations 15 cm, the distance between the holes is 0.5 m, the width is chosen taking into account that the root system of the melon is completely located in the hole. You can put in a checkerboard pattern or in one line. 70 cm row spacing
- Seedlings fall asleep, leaving 2 top leaves on the surface.
- From above they mulch with sand and water.
To prevent the leaves from getting sunburn, a paper cap is placed over each seedling. After 4 days, the protection is removed.
Watering and feeding
Watering the plants is carried out taking into account seasonal rainfall, if it rains once every 2 weeks, additional soil moisture is not required. In the dry summer, two irrigations per month will be enough. The first dressing of organic melon Goldie spend 7 days after transplanting. After two weeks, a solution of ammonium nitrate is applied under the root. The next fertilizer application is in 14 days. Dilute humus, add wood ash. Superphosphate and potash fertilizers are applied in equal proportions 3 weeks before harvest.
Goldie melon bushes are formed after the appearance of the first lateral shoots. Variety gives many shoots and intensive flowering. It is necessary to remove excess residues in order for fruits to get enough nutrients. On one bush, no more than 5 shoots are left, on each of 1 large, lower fruit, the rest are cut. 4 leaves are counted from the fruit and they break the top. After forming the beds all the melons remain open, the excess shoots are removed.
Goldie's melon ripens unevenly, the first harvest is carried out when the fruits reach biological ripeness, approximately at the end of July. The remaining fruits remain to ripen until autumn. If the temperature drops below +230 C, the melon will not ripen. Therefore, when forming, the weather conditions of the region are taken into account. Goldie's ripe melon is bright yellow with a pronounced beige mesh and a pleasant aroma. If the fruits are removed in a state of technical ripeness, they will not be sweet, the shelf life is halved.
Diseases and pests
Goldy melon hybrid is based on wild-growing species of culture, therefore the variety is genetically immune to a number of diseases: powdery mildew, fusarium wilt, ascohitoza. Perhaps the manifestation of viral cucumber mosaic. Culture treatment is carried out by removing the affected areas, treating the bushes with a solution of manganese.
The only pest that parasitizes the melon is the melon fly, which lays eggs under the skin of the fruit. The pest is able to destroy the crop completely. To prevent the parasite from multiplying, the plant is treated with insecticidal agents.
Goldie Melon f1 is a fruitful, early ripe hybrid created by French breeders. Culture is characterized by high taste. Gives the fruits of universal purpose. Dessert melon variety is suitable for growing on the backyard and large areas. Fruits are stored for a long time, safely transported.